Thursday, March 17, 2011

As an organizer...



My B.Tech friends know the best about my abilities and inabilities in organizing events. The first event I organized was the farewell party to seniors in Intermediate. (I was just the anchor for the event and a sort of co-organizer.) From that event till the recently organized Table Tennis tournament, I have been making some mistakes or the other while having new experiences.

The tour in B.Tech, which I organized along with my friends, was the biggest in terms of the budget (Rs. 1.6 Lakhs), time (10 days of tour & 2 months of planning), responsibility, risk, mistakes, learnings and enjoyment. Organizing such a big event was an achievement in itself. (It was after 4 or 5 years that ECE students from my college were going for a tour and I was the main organizer for it!). Focussing on what went well and covering up the mistakes will be another mistake on my part. :) So, here are few things I learnt from the mistakes I made as an organizer.

1) Knowing when to discuss with everyone concerned and when to take a decision independently is a skill. I wish I’ll be able to acquire and master that skill.
2) Transparency and honesty are required, but (over-)sensitivity should have nothing to do with an organizer. Others may doubt our honesty, but we should remember that none of us have any certificate of honesty. Till the event is over, we don’t have any way of proving ourselves.
3) Patience is one more trait required for an organizer. It’s nothing wrong for others to be impatient with an organizer. After all, they are the ones who may be the victims of poor organizing. :D
4) We should not get disheartened when things go wrong. It’s very easily said, but very difficult to follow. I could not enjoy the first few days of the tour as I was dispirited with unanticipated criticism.
5) Before committing to organize an event, we should be mentally prepared for what might happen even if the event is unsuccessful. However, we should be positive by considering the satisfaction and the happiness we get if the event is a success.
6) Organizing an event should not be considered a burden. It’s a responsibility that we have to take up willingly.
7) Organizing an event involves lot many constraints, the main ones being the budget constraints and the time constraints. Focussing on one aspect and ignoring others is a mistake that usually one makes.
8) Plan your work. Work your plan. Be ready with Plan B or be set for ad hoc planning in case plan A is unsuccessful.


Like everyone else, I was an organizer for just few times for different events, but was among the audience for umpteen times. There are few points which are expected from the audience as well.

1) It’s human tendency to focus on a small black dot on a big sheet of white paper. We generally blame the organizer for the mistake which he/she makes and totally ignore the other successfully completed ‘modules’ of the event.
2) Different people have different wish-lists. Something which is of high priority to few in the audience may be of low priority to many others. We can blame the organizer only if he/she ignores something which almost everyone in the audience considers to be very important.
3) Most of the times, it’s easy to criticize but difficult to improve. When we put ourselves in the shoes of the organizer, it’s only then that we realize that this statement is true.
4) We should be proactive in helping the organizers if we think that we can really make the event better than how it goes on.

To conclude, for an event to be successful, it depends not only on the organizer but also on the audience. So, whether we are in the audience or in the organizing committee, it doesn’t matter. It’s WE together who have to make an event a success. :)

5 comments:

  1. agree with all the points...some examples detailing what made you arrive at those points, would have made it more interesting!!
    as always well balanced,all-rounded,diplomatic article :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Marvellous' is the only word I can think of after reading it !! I just love your choice of words - you conveyed what you have to with pin-point accuracy !!

    And I completely second every aspect of what you've written. Very easy it is to criticize but equally difficult to implement !! Your ideas, thoughts and opinions seriously deserve a million encomiums !! You are such a natural !! :)


    -Parthu

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Raghav: I removed the few examples which I felt like sharing because I thought it would make the article very lengthy. Now I feel that I should not have deleted them during editing. :) (However, my B.Tech friends will understand what made me write some points in this article.)

    @Parthu: nee 'walkabulary' ganaka naku unte inkaa baaga raayadaniki try chesevadini. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude, the article was awesome!! And i totally agree with what you said that " An organizer should be patient when doing an event. Just to add something to this article. In my opinion,
    A good leader is someone who knows how to listen. Understands the actions and words of his/her teammates and determines their thoughts and feelings by influencing them. As a leader/organizer, learn to influence the whole team by showing them competence and discipline. And Leaders need not do much of the talking. So for everyone, "Be a leader who listens".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a ton for your comment Rohith. I didn't see this comment till now.

      Delete